Ford’s For Me
A sensory-friendly museum program designed to create a welcoming environment for individuals with sensory sensitivities.
Save the Date: Saturday, October 21, 2023
Ford’s Theatre is committed to accessibility at all levels and offers Ford’s For Me: Sensory-Friendly museum experiences, in partnership with the National Park Service. These free events are sensory-friendly museum programs, designed to create an experience that is welcoming for families and people with sensory sensitivities who might benefit from an adjusted theatrical environment, including those with autism. Adaptations for these museum experiences may include:
- Pre-visit social narrative and other preparatory materials describing what to expect
- Lower sound levels, especially for surprising or loud sounds in the exhibits
- Thematic activities
- Reduced wait times
- Limited crowds at Ford’s Theatre during the day and time of the experience
- Ford’s Theatre staff trained to be inviting and accommodating to patrons’ needs; and
- Allowance for the use of tablets and smartphones for communication.
- A sensory-friendly performance of One Destiny
This event is for families and recommended for ages 6+.
Ford’s Theatre accessibility programs are supported by the Liberty Mutual Foundation.
We invite you to explore these pre-visit materials to prepare for your experience at Ford’s For Me.
Ford’s For Me Testimonials
“Staff was absolutely amazing!! It is nice to know that everything is thought of for a calm, educational, and enjoyable event.”Event Attendee, 2019
“This was an amazing experience and was even better than we had hoped. The social story beforehand was amazing … Thank you for putting all the time and effort into the event.”Event Attendee, 2019
“Thank you to the staff at the event. We really appreciate that people get there so early on a Saturday morning so that my family can experience the museum in a setting that works for my son with autism. Thank you for giving us an amazing family experience other typical families might take for grantEvent Attendee, 2019