Sensory-Friendly events are designed to create an experience that is welcoming for individuals on the autism spectrum or those with other sensory sensitivities who might benefit from an adjusted environment.
Adaptations for this museum experience may include:
- Pre-visit social narrative and other preparatory materials describing what to expect;
- Lower sound levels, especially for surprising or loud sounds in the exhibits;
- Thematic activities;
- Reduced wait times;
- Designated take-a-break spaces;
- Limited crowds at Ford’s Theatre during the day and time of the experience;
- Ford’s Theatre staff trained to be inviting and accommodating to patrons’ needs; and
- Allowance for the use of tablets and smartphones for communication.